September 19, 2017
San Francisco — The Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area (AABA) congratulates Bay Area attorneys Suhi Koizumi, Rita Lin, David Mesa, Vilaska Nguyen, Vineet Shahani, and Christine Start on being selected for the 2017 Best Lawyers Under 40 (BU40) Award by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA). The BU40 Award recognizes talented individuals in the Asian Pacific American legal community who are under the age of 40 and who have achieved prominence and distinction in their respective fields, while demonstrating a strong commitment to the Asian Pacific American community at relatively early stages in their careers. The BU40 Award will be presented on November 2, 2017, at the NAPABA Convention in Washington D.C.
"This year's BU40 class represents the best and brightest in our community," said Miriam Kim, President of AABA. "The six Bay Area honorees include a federal prosecutor, two deputy public defenders, an in-house lawyer, and small firm and big firm lawyers. In addition to excelling in their respective areas of law, Suhi, Rita, David, Vilaska, Vineet, and Christine have worked tirelessly to support the Asian Pacific American community."
Only 18 attorneys across the country were recognized with the BU40 Award this year. Below is the full list of recipients of the 2017 BU40 Award:
- Reena R. Bajowala | Jenner & Block LLP
- Kelly Chen | Munck Wilson Mandala LLP
- Betty Chen | Fish & Richadson PC
- Jung Choi | Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Nicole Ong Colyer | Arizona Department of Administration
- Dale Ho | American Civil Liberties Union
- Dong Joo Lee | United States Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corp
- Sylvia Kim | Asian Americans Advancing Justice — Orange County
- Suhi Koizumi | Minami Tamaki LLP
- John Solano Laney | Stoel Rives LLP
- Rita Lin | U.S. Attorney’s Office, Northern District of California
- David Mesa | Sedgwick LLP
- Vilaska Nguyen | Office of the San Francisco Public Defender
- Vineet Shahani | Nest Labs Inc.
- Amandeep S. Sidhu | McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- Christine Mari Palma Start | Solano County (CA) Alternate Public Defender’s Office
- Jennifer H. Wu | Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Tony Yu | DSG Wealth & Trust Law
Please join us once again in congratulating Suhi Koizumi, Rita Lin, David Mesa, Vilaska Nguyen, Vineet Shahani, and Christine on receiving NAPABA’s BU40 Award. AABA looks forward to their future successes.