The Sargent Shriver Custody Project (SASH) represents low-income parents in child custody and visitation cases when the opposing party has counsel. SASH is part of a statewide program following the results of providing counsel in civil cases where critical human needs are involved, formed under the California Sargent Shriver Civil Counsel Act. SASH is a joint project with San Francisco’s Unified Family Court and this position works from offices based at the San Francisco Superior Court.
We seek a Supervising Attorney to represent litigants only in the custody/visitation portion of their cases, as well as supervise a staff attorney and paralegal, and manage the project’s operations and funding obligations.
Responsibilities include: litigating active cases, mentoring and supervising a staff attorney as needed; overseeing client intake and case management through all stages of litigation and trial; overseeing client outreach at Unified Family Court calendars; maintain accurate data and prepare timely reports to funders. The Supervising Attorney must limit representation to custody and visitation issues while understanding the interplay with support and property issues.
The successful candidate will have the following:
· Must be a licensed member of the California State Bar in good standing
· At least 5 years of family law experience in family law practice, including dissolutions, child custody and visitation, spousal support, and petitions for guardianships of children
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
· Excellent written and oral communication skills with a broad range of people including low-income litigants, attorneys, judges and court staff and community partner nonprofits
· Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise staff, and independently manage projects
· Sound litigation judgment and client management skills
Ability to handle cases while simultaneously overseeing funder requirements, including data maintenance and reports
· Demonstrated commitment to social justice
· Knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and Essential Forms
To find out more about JDC, please visit our website at www.sfbar.org.
Please provide cover letter along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
P.O. Box 387 San Francisco, CA email@example.com