Weaver Austin Villeneuve & Sampson LLP, Oakland, CA
Weaver Austin Villeneuve & Sampson LLP (WAVS IP) is seeking entry level and/or lateral candidates for patent preparation and prosecution in our chemical and biosciences group. You will join an incredible team of attorneys, agents, paralegals, and staff that represents a wide range of clients, including start-ups, large companies, and universities. Technical areas include those relating to advanced materials, pharmaceuticals and treatment methods, therapeutic diagnostics, and engineered organisms.
WAVS IP is a growing, San Francisco Bay Area-based patent law firm with over 25 registered patent practitioners and a diverse client base. WAVS IP offers opportunities for advancement within the firm and also has reputable informal and formal mentorship. We have a friendly work environment and highly trained support staff. Our Bay Area offices are in downtown Oakland and Menlo Park. Remote, in-office, and hybrid working arrangements are supported. We offer a percentage-based compensation plan that generously rewards hard-working practitioners while providing flexibility to maintain a reasonable work/life balance and a competitive benefits plan. WAVS IP does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other legally protected characteristic.
• Eligible to be admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
• B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, or other relevant life sciences field; or pertinent industry experience
• Strong writing and communication skills
• Interest in patent prosecution
• Ability to work with colleagues in various time zones in the U.S.
• Admission to practice before the USPTO
• Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, or other relevant life sciences field
• Prior patent prosecution experience in a law firm setting
• Keen understanding of fundamental scientific principles and interdisciplinary technologies.
How to Apply:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Experienced Patent Prosecution Associate Position – Chemistry” in the subject line with the following:
• Transcripts (college, graduate school, and law school if applicable)
• Writing samples
For lateral candidates: In your cover letter, please provide a brief explanation of your experience in handling complex matters and portfolios for clients. In addition, please provide a brief introduction of technical knowledge gained during your technical degree or industry experience.
For entry level candidates: In your cover letter, please provide a brief explanation of your interest in patent practice. In addition, please provide a brief introduction of technical knowledge gained during your technical degree or industry experience.