Deputy County Counsel II & III
$9,301 - $13,004/Monthly*
Grow your legal career in public service. Join a team driven to improve our communities and the quality of life in Sonoma County. Join County Counsel.
Starting salary up to $74.77/hour ($156,053/year) plus a cash allowance of approximately $600/month* County Counsel is currently recruiting to fill a Deputy County Counsel position at either the II or III level, depending upon qualifications and level. If you are interested in applying at multiple levels of this opportunity, you must submit separate applications to each recruitment.
What We Offer
Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing your contributions work to better our shared community. You can also look forward to excellent benefits* including:
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance of up to $1,700 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid 100% premium contribution for the majority of employee-only and employee + family health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
Become a Valued Member of the County Counsel Team
Sonoma County Counsel, Robert Pittman, and his dedicated team work collaboratively with each other, both in the office and remotely, to diligently provide the County's various departments and agencies with the highest quality of legal representation and advice. In support of assigned County departments and agencies, County Counsel's highly motivated, collegial team of attorneys and staff are committed to providing excellent public services, that improve and enrich the quality of life for all living in Sonoma County. Please visit County Counsel's website to learn more about the valuable public law-related services that they provide which promote the public interest, protect financial resources, and achieve the County's programmatic and strategic goals.
Currently, County Counsel is recruiting for a skilled attorney, with experience in the practice areas of Infrastructure and Public Resources, Land Use, Litigation, and Natural Resources. However, this position will be exposed to a variety of County Counsel's practice groups. Our team members are creative problem-solvers who work effectively both together, and independently, to prepare and present civil cases before various administrative bodies and the state and federal courts.
As a career-oriented attorney and the ideal candidate to join the County Counsel team, you bring your excellent research and writing skills, ability to think strategically and creatively; and desire to assume responsibility and work cooperatively on complex, fast-moving projects. Additionally, you are committed to upholding ethical standards, identifying and eliminating bias, and you ideally possess several of the following:
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Subject matter understanding of land use law; California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) compliance, regulatory compliance, project entitlement review, and code enforcement requirements; housing law and finance; and/or expertise in the drafting and interpretation of land use ordinances, plans, and policies
- Civil and/or public law litigation experience, including discovery, trial, writ, or appellate work
- Demonstrate highly effective research, writing, and oral communication skills
- Bring your initiative, high standards, and drive to set and achieve goals
- Are inspired by continuous learning, strive for professional growth, and enjoy promoting and supporting the same motivations in others
Join Our Team and Bring Your Commitment to Public Service to the County of Sonoma
The County of Sonoma is the place to live, grow, and build your career legacy. When you join the County of Sonoma, you'll have the freedom to explore the beauty of our county - its picturesque coastline, majestic redwoods, historic towns, fine dining, award-winning wineries, and a wide variety of entertainment and cultural activities. For additional information about the beauty of our community and the valuable services and support that the County provides our communities, please visit sonomacounty.ca.gov and sonomacountyconnections.org.
*Salary is negotiable within the established range and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more information, including minimum qualifications, & to apply, visit, www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. The County of Sonoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and are committed to having a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. Apply by 5/23/22
Direct Link to Apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sonoma?keywords=deputy%20county%20counsel