Contact US About AABA Social Media
Legal Services for Children seeks an attorney to represent children in immigration proceedings. Clients will be living in the community in the Bay Area. Clients are primarily monolingual Spanish speakers. We welcome applicants at all levels and provide opportunities for training and leadership.
· Conducting legal screenings, client interviews, and factual and legal investigations, counseling clients, developing case strategies and case plans, and engaging in oral and written advocacy as part of representing children in immigration matters (primarily SIJS, Asylum, U and T visa cases)
· Representing children in immigration matters, including Immigration Court proceedings and related state court matters (probate and dependency as needed), as well as applications before U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) and cases before Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)
· Engaging in advocacy efforts on behalf of children, including conducting community presentations for children, families, schools, and community organizations
· Representing LSC in local coalitions and collaboratives as needed
· Supervising legal interns
· Member in good standing of the State Bar of California
· Spanish fluency is required
· Experience in the practice of immigration law
· Demonstrated commitment to the rights of children and experience working with children who have experienced trauma
· Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and in crisis situations
· Well-organized, motivated, creative, and independent, yet also able to work in a team-oriented environment
· Commitment to providing culturally competent services
· Excellent verbal, interpersonal, writing, and interviewing skills
Salary & Benefits:
Starting salary is $63,000 and commensurate with experience. Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), retirement savings contribution, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, and sabbatical). LSC offers a flexible spending account for qualified health expenses.
Please send cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Immigration Staff Attorney” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered: LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
© 2019 Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area. All Rights Reserved
P.O. Box 387 San Francisco, CA 94104 | Email us at Info@aaba-bay.com