Contact US About AABA Social Media
Position: BayLegal seeks a family law attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy to join our team. This position is based in our San Francisco office. As a member of BayLegal's regional practice, there may be travel within BayLegal's broader service areas to address the regional nature of poverty and as necessary for training and broader advocacy.
As a BayLegal Staff Attorney you will have the opportunity:
Represent low-income survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in an array of family court proceedings, including dissolution, child custody and support, UPAs and restraining orders;
· Work closely with BayLegal's development, grants and contracts, and communications team to promote BayLegal's mission and resource development; and
· Membership in good standing with the CA Bar
· Bilingual ability in Spanish or Cantonese preferred
· Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
· Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, with ability to be detail-oriented
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
· Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done
· Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details
· Exhibits humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits: We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and competitive compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Applications: BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter including response to question below (cover letter need not be limited to one page), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Family Law Attorney - SF” in the subject of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, the working poor, seniors, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to serve our client base effectively and to contribute to our commitment to humility, inclusion and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
© 2019 Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area. All Rights Reserved
P.O. Box 387 San Francisco, CA 94104 | Email us at Info@aaba-bay.com