API Legal Outreach is the largest social justice legal organization focused on the Asian/Pacific Islander and Latino communities of the Greater Bay Area. Founded in 1975, our mission is to provide culturally competent and linguistically appropriate legal representation for the most marginalized segments of the community including low-income women, seniors, immigrants, and youth. With offices in Oakland and San Francisco, our work is focused in the areas of Domestic Violence/Family law, Immigration and Immigrant Rights, Senior Law and Elder Abuse Prevention, Anti-Human Trafficking, Youth Violence Prevention, and Affordable Housing Preservation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide legal representation and counseling in the areas of removal defense, asylum, SIJS, naturalization, DACA, VAWA, Trafficking and U-visas.
2. Conduct bilingual community education and outreach.
3. Staff clinics throughout the Bay Area at sites accessible to low-income families.
4. Provide technical assistance and training to community and public agencies.
5. Represent the organization at community, legal, funding, and other meetings and functions.
6. Assist with administrative work of the organization.
7. Assist with overflow cases from our housing, DV, and/or elder rights projects.
1. Demonstrated commitment to social justice and experience working on behalf of underserved immigrant communities.
2. Strong advocacy and courtroom skills.
3. At least one (1) year’s experience in representing low-income and non-English speaking clients.
4. Bilingual and bicultural skills relevant to low-income immigrant communities.
5. Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar.
6. Ability to work well in a team-oriented, multi-cultural work environment.
1. Successful experience in serving APILO's target populations and working in disadvantaged communities of color.
2. Fluent speakers of Spanish, Cantonese, Tagalog or Vietnamese.
Hours: Minimum of 40 hours per week including weekend and evening hours.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, based on scale; health insurance, vacation, holiday, sick leave.
Start Date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If interested, send cover letter, resume, a short writing sample, and 3 professional references to: Personnel Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
P.O. Box 387 San Francisco, CA email@example.com