Contact US About AABA Social Media
Position: BayLegal seeks an attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy who is interested in using their legal skills to remove legal barriers to accessing health treatment or coverage throughout the Bay Area.
Location: This position is based in our Oakland office. As a member of BayLegal's regional practice, there may be travel within BayLegal's broader service areas to address the regional nature of poverty and as necessary for training and broader advocacy.
As a Health Consumer Center Attorney you will have the opportunity:
Requirements/Qualifications about the successful candidate:
· Experience and knowledge, or willingness to learn, health care related issues, including Medicare, Medi-Cal and managed care
· Membership in the California State Bar or willingness to apply to become a Registered Legal Services Attorney if licensed in another state.
· Successfully passing a background check (requirement in part because the position requires access to personal healthcare data).
· Bilingual ability in Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese preferred.
· Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
· Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, with ability to be detail-oriented
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
· Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done
· Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details
· Humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits: We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Applications: BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference "HCC Attorney" in the subject of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal's clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, seniors, people with lived experiences of homelessness, veterans, people with disabilities, and people from other underrepresented groups. BayLegal is committed to enhancing the provision of our services to all clients, increasing positive client outcomes, and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. BayLegal promotes and supports policies that enable us to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with our clients, coworkers, and the community.
© 2019 Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area. All Rights Reserved
P.O. Box 387 San Francisco, CA 94104 | Email us at Info@aaba-bay.com